Wrangling Division

Descriptive Notes

Otherwise described as land common to Droitwich St Andrew and Droitwich St Peter.[25]

My thanks to Gus Tysoe for the following notes:

"The 1892 Ordnance Survey 1/4" map of Worcestershire shows the area as "Wrangling Division -- Rated to the Parishes of St Andrew and St Peter" which title would seem to give a very strong hint as to why it got the name of 'Wrangling'...
It first appeared as a separate area in the 1891 Census and so presumably arose following the introduction of the Local Government Act of 1888 which abolished the old system of Hundreds, and rerquiring the boundaries of all Civil Parishes to be firmly established.
It isn't known if the luckless inhabitants of the area were, in fact, charged the old Poor Law Rates by both St Andrew and St Peter but it would seem extremely probable. In any event, neither Parish was willing to surrender its 'rights' - and so both lost them.
The actual area was 43 acres ['43.211 of land; no inland water' according to another OS Map of the County of around the same date] and on a present-day map formed a roughly-rectangular strip a few yards to the East of the Southern portion of Newland Road, with its Southern edge being (almost) at
Pulley Lane. It's rough centre is at SO904615 on the current OS Landranger Map 150 (Worcester and The Malverns).
Its population was:
In 1891 - nil [but probably misrecorded]
1901 - nil [but shown as 9 in 1911, by adjustment of St Peter]
1911 - 6 , who were probably all at Yew Tree [Hill] Farm.
It was abolished on 1 April 1920 by the County of Worcester (Droitwich) Confirmation Order, 1920, No, 65925 when it and the Parishes of St Andrew, St Nicholas and St Peter were abolished and consolidated into 'Droitwich'."


It was abolished on [1 April] 1920 together with the parishes of St Andrew, St Nicholas and St Peter to create Droitwich Civil Parish. [25]


O.S. Ref: SO904615

Last Updated: 31/07/2012