Clifton Upon Teme
St Clifton on Teme is the usual ecclesiastic spelling; civil spelling is usually Clifton upon Teme.
Clifton-upon-Teme overlooks the Teme valley. Its picturesque buildings are steeped in history - from the 12th century Lion Inn opposite the village green to St. Kenelm's church.
Ancient Parish 
The township & borough of 'Clifton upon Teme' in Worcestershire (Doddingtree Hundred) as was the chapel at Lower Sapey. Lower Sapey, or Sapey Prichard, was originally a chapel in Clifton-upon-Teme Ancient Parish. 
Clifton-upon-Teme also included in Herefordshire (Bromyard Hundred) a chapel at Edvin Loach, which had a separate civil identity early in Herefordshire, so that Clifton upon Teme was entirely Worcestershire thereafter. 
Archdeaconry of Ludlow & Diocese of Hereford until 1898, Archdeaconry & Diocese of Worcester (1898 - *) 
Parish Registers at Worcestershire Archives
International Genealogical Index (IGI)
|Parish Registers||Births / Christenings||1598-1877|
At BMSGH Shop
Christenings, Marriages & Burials1598-1837
At BMSGH Reference Library 
Clifton-upon-Teme, St Kenelm, Baptisms. Marriages. and Burials. 1598-1837
At Dudley Archives & Local History Service
At Society of Genealogists 
CLIFTON UPON TEME (St. Kenelm) : Christenings & Burials 1598-1837, Marriages 1754-1840 Published Birmingham : Birmingham & Midland Society for Genealogy & Heraldry, 1982 Author Mosse, R (transcriptions) Source D: BMSGH
Monumental Inscriptions and Associated Documents
All the censuses between 1841 and 1901 are now available on a number of fee-paying (Subscription or PayAsYouGo) sites including Ancestry.co.uk, FindMyPast.co.uk, thegenealogist.co.uk and genesreunited.co.uk. The 1911 census is available in full or in part on some of these sites. We are unable to advise on the choice of site since researchers' personal preferences will be influenced by the content and search facilities offered by each site. Some sites offer a free trial.
Access to the library edition of Ancestry.co.uk is widely available at most record offices, including Worcestershire Archives, and some libraries. You are advised to book time on their computers before making a visit.
A free-to-view site is being developed at freecen.org.uk for the 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871 and 1891 censuses. Coverage of Worcestershire parishes is rather sparse at this time.
Census returns can usually be viewed at Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints' Family History Centres.
Some repositories offer census details on microform, disc or printed copy. These include:
Search Services (Fee paying) - BMSGH and Independent
Parish Records on microform
The following school records are original documents. Note reference number and contact staff at Worcestershire Archives:
Clifton upon Teme C P School
Log books - 1844-1915 - Ref: BA 4434
The records of schools and other educational establishments in this parish are detailed in a handlist available at Worcestershire Archives. The list refers to original documents so you will need to note the reference number and contact staff.
An extract from the Topographical Dictionary of England 1831 by Samuel Lewis:
CLIFTON upon TEME, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of DODDINGTREE, county of WORCESTER, 10¼ miles (N. W. by W.) from Worcester, containing 520 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Salop, and diocese of Hereford, rated in the king's books at £6. 19. 2 and in the patronage of Sir T. E. Winnington, Bart. The church, dedicated to St. Killom, contains some ancient monuments. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. The village is beautifully situated on a steep cliff, overlooking the serpentine course of the river Teme, by means of which the meadows and hop-plantations in the neighbourhood are irrigated. Edward III made it a free borough, granting also a weekly market, now disused. Near it are the remains of Ham castle, formerly the residence of the family of Jefferies, which was nearly destroyed in 1646, by the parliamentary troops; it is now occupied as a farmhouse. There was anciently a chapel at Overton, in this parish, but, in 1532, Charles, Bishop of Hereford, with the, consent of the vicar of Clifton and the inhabitants, united it to the parish of Slandford, reserving to the vicar an annual pension of 13s. 4d in lieu of tithes and offerings due. from the inhabitants of the chapelry.
Last Updated: 25/01/2016