Elmley Castle used to have a castle but it was in ruins by the mid sixteenth century and hardly anything now remains. Following the conquest, the Lords of the manor were the d'Abitots. They were followed in the twelfth century by the Beauchamps and in the sixteenth century by the Savages. Bishop Bonner was born here in 1492 and Elizabeth I slept here in 1575. [Source: 'The Castle at Elmley' by David Phillips]
O.S. Ref: SO982410
On the Gloucestershire border, equidistant between Evesham and Pershore, at the foot of the Bredon Hills, about 4 miles S.W. of Evesham and 4 miles S.E. of Pershore
Kersoe is a hamlet, 1½ miles S.E., with several farms. Netherton is a hamlet ¼ mile east; it was ecclesiastically annexed to Elmley Castle in 1864, and is chiefly occupied by farmers. 
Great Comberton; Little Comberton; Bricklehampton; Cropthorne; Netherton; Hinton on the Green (Gloucestershire); Sedgeberrow; Ashton under Hill (Gloucestershire); Overbury; Kemerton (Gloucestershire) 
Parish Registers at Worcestershire Archives
** Shelved separately
International Genealogical Index (IGI)
|Parish Registers||Births / Christenings||1612-1700; 1703-1812; 1831-1879|
|Marriages||1612-1700; 1665-1740; 1743-1836|
|Bishops' Transcripts||Births / Christenings||1608-1700 (67%)|
At BMSGH Reference Library 
Baptisms 1813-1881 Marriages 1813-1836 Burials 1813-1937 Banns 1823-1946
At Society of Genealogists  :-
ELMLEY CASTLE : Christenings 1813-81, Marriages 1813-36, banns 1823-1946, B 1813-1937 [Microfilm.] Published Salt Lake City : Genealogical Society of Utah, 1982
ELMLEY CASTLE : Marriages 1705-40: Worcestershire registers, vol. 1 [Typescript.] IN: Worcestershire registers, vol. 1 Published , 1994 Author Wall, F (transcriptions)
Monumental Inscriptions and Associated Documents
At BMSGH Shop
At Worcestershire Archives 
At Society of Genealogists 
ELMLEY CASTLE (St. Mary) : Monumental Inscriptions: Worcestershire monumental inscriptions, vol. 9 [Typescript.] IN: Worcestershire monumental inscriptions, vol. 9 Published Birmingham : Birmingham & Midland Society for Genealogy & Heraldry, 1991 Author Bushell, L (transcriptions) Author Farmer, G R (transcriptions) Source D: Birmingham & Midland Society for Genealogy & Heraldry
For the names of those included on a War Memorial at Elmley Castle School see:
For the names of those included on a War Memorial at St Mary the Virgin's Church see:
For a memorial to Francis Byam on a Crimea War Memorial Window at St Mary the Virgin's Church see:
All the censuses between 1841 and 1901 are now available on a number of fee-paying (Subscription or PayAsYouGo) sites including Ancestry.co.uk, FindMyPast.co.uk, thegenealogist.co.uk and genesreunited.co.uk. The 1911 census is available in full or in part on some of these sites. We are unable to advise on the choice of site since researchers' personal preferences will be influenced by the content and search facilities offered by each site. Some sites offer a free trial.
Access to the library edition of Ancestry.co.uk is widely available at most record offices, including Worcestershire Archives, and some libraries. You are advised to book time on their computers before making a visit.
A free-to-view site is being developed at freecen.org.uk for the 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871 and 1891 censuses. Coverage of Worcestershire parishes is rather sparse at this time.
Census returns can usually be viewed at Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints' Family History Centres.
Some repositories offer census details on microform, disc or printed copy. These include:
Search Services (Fee paying) - BMSGH and Independent
Worcestershire Archives 
Account roll [1399-1400]; Court book 1631; Rent roll 1607-1765; Court rolls 1347-1583; Accounts 1345-1535; Compotus rolls [1401-11]; Rentals 1760-1845; Surveys, valuations, manor books, rent rolls etc 17th -19th cents
"The Castle at Elmley" by David Phillips
The parish church of St. Mary the Virgin, Elmley Castle Published , 1980 Edition 3rd repr. of 1958 book Source D: S K Minney Location Worcestershire tracts box The story of Elmley Castle in the county of Worcestershire Published 1969 Author Lloyd, R H Edition 3rd edn Source D: L Weinstein. Society of Genealogists
An extract from the Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831:
ELMLEY-CASTLE, a parish in the middle division of the hundred of OSWALDSLOW, county of WORCESTER, 4¾ miles (W. S. W.) from Evesham, containing 316 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester, rated in the king's books at £5. 6. 5½ , endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £400 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Worcester. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, contains some handsome monuments. On one of the Breedon hills a strong castle was erected, in the reign of William the Conqueror, and destroyed in that of Henry III: a college, or chantry, for eight priests was founded in it by Guy Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick, in honour of the Blessed Virgin: the site and surrounding moat are still discernible. Henry III granted to this place a weekly market and an annual fair on St. Lawrence's day. Here are quarries of stone, one kind of which is blue, used for the flooring of kitchens. A small stone cross stands within the parish.
Last Updated: 05/01/2014