Ancient Parish 
In Worcestershire in time of Domesday Book, soon thereafter considered in Staffordshire (S.Seisdon Hundred). For civil purposes transferred in 1844 to Worcestershire (Halfshire Hundred).
Included in Staffordshire a chapel at Rowley Regis, which had a separate civil identity early in Staffordshire and a separate Ecclesiastical Parish in 1848. 
O.S. Ref: SO929793
5 miles S.W. of Halesowen
The parish comprises the hamlets of Upper and Lower Clent. Holy Cross is a district in Clent parish. Walton is a hamlet, ½ mile S.E. 
Adams Hill and Rumbow are hamlets 
In S.Seisdon, Staffordshire though locally in Lower Halfshire, Worcestershire 
Poor Law Union
Parish Registers at Worcestershire Archives
International Genealogical Index (IGI)
|Parish Registers||Births / Christenings||1562-1611; 1700-1877|
|Bishops' Transcripts||Births / Christenings||1612-1700 (60%)|
At BMSGH Reference Library 
Baptisms 1813-1877, Marriages 1798-1938 Burials 1813-1903
Burials 1904-1961 Marriages 1938-1975 Banns 1754-1946
Including Register of Births 1807-1837, Some Researches into the Baptist Cause in Clent
St Leonard Baptisms Marriages and Burials 1561-1837, Banns 1754-1813, BTs 1621-1636,1758-1782
At Society of Genealogists  :-
CLENT : Christenings, Marriages & Burials 1562-1626, Christenings & Burials 1636-1642, 1654-1812, Marriages 1636-42, 1654-1805, banns 1789-1815 [Microfilm.] Published Salt Lake City : Genealogical Society of Utah, 1982
CLENT (St. Leonard): Christenings, Marriages & Burials 1561-1837, banns 1754-1813 Published Staffordshire Parish Registers Society 2004 Author Ball, Johnson (transcriptions) Author Bloore, Peter D (transcriptions)
Monumental Inscriptions and Associated Documents
At BMSGH Shop
At BMSGH Reference Library 
At Worcestershire Archives 
Notes on epitaphs (c.1870)
A Society of Genealogists t
CLENT (St. Leonard) : Monumental Inscriptions: Worcestershire monumental inscriptions, vol. 7 [Typescript.] IN: Worcestershire monumental inscriptions, vol. 7 Published Birmingham : Birmingham & Midland Society for Genealogy & Heraldry, 1989 Author Wright, Mr et al. (trans) Source D: BMSGH
For the names of those included on a War Memorial at St Leonard's Church see:
For a War Memorial to Edward Baylie Amphlett at St Leonard's Church see:
For a War Memorial to John Amphlett at St Leonard's Church see:
All the censuses between 1841 and 1901 are now available on a number of fee-paying (Subscription or PayAsYouGo) sites including Ancestry.co.uk, FindMyPast.co.uk, thegenealogist.co.uk and genesreunited.co.uk. The 1911 census is available in full or in part on some of these sites. We are unable to advise on the choice of site since researchers' personal preferences will be influenced by the content and search facilities offered by each site. Some sites offer a free trial.
Access to the library edition of Ancestry.co.uk is widely available at most record offices, including Worcestershire Archives, and some libraries. You are advised to book time on their computers before making a visit.
A free-to-view site is being developed at freecen.org.uk for the 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871 and 1891 censuses. Coverage of Worcestershire parishes is rather sparse at this time.
Census returns can usually be viewed at Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints' Family History Centres.
Some repositories offer census details on microform, disc or printed copy. These include:
Search Services (Fee paying) - BMSGH and Independent
Worcestershire Archives 
Abstracts of admissions and surrenders 1716-1927, [19th-20th cent.]; Account book re legal transactions 1842-90; Chief rents 1871-2; Court book 1840-70; Court roll 1716-1840, 1872-1925; Customs 1729-1840
Church Clent: Index of court rolls 1886; Court rolls 1886-95; List of tenants on court rolls with details of the type of land they occupy 1886; Steward's fees and other papers [19th cent]
The records of schools and other educational establishments in this parish are detailed in a handlist available at Worcestershire Archives. The list refers to original documents so you will need to note the reference number and contact staff.
The parochial records of Clent : in Midland Antiquary, vol. 3, 1884, pp. 49 IN: Midland Antiquary, vol. 3, 1884, pp. 49 Published , 1884 Author Amphlett, John Society of Genealogists
A short history of Clent Published London : Parker & Co. 2, 1890 Author Amphlett, John Acc. no. 14327 Source D: Mrs O'Reilly Location Worcestershire shelves Shelf mark WO/L 34 Society of Genealogists
An extract from the Topographical Dictionary of England 1831 by Samuel Lewis:
CLENT, a parish in the southern division of the hundred of SEISDON, county of STAFFORD, though locally in the lower division of the hundred of Halfshire, county of Worcester, 3¼ miles (S. S. E.) from Stourbridge, containing 885 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, with the perpetual curacy of Rowley-Regis annexed, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester, rated in the king's books at £8. 16. 5½ and in the patronage of the Crown. The church is dedicated to St. Leonard. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyan Methodists. The infant king of Mercia, St. Kenelm, is supposed to have been murdered here in 819, by order of his sister Quendrida, but the body, having been subsequently discovered, was buried in Winchcombe abbey, which had been founded by his father. Here is a free school for the children of poor parishioners, founded by John Amphlett, Esq., in 1704; the master, who instructs thirty children, has a house to reside in, with a garden attached, and the interest of £200, A Sunday school was also commenced, in 1788, by Thomas Waldrou, Esq., who supported it during his lifetime, and at his death, in 1800, bequeathed £500 for that purpose; eighty children receive instruction.
Last Updated: 12/10/2016