Ancient Parish 
Originally a chapel in Martley Ancient Parish. A separate parish by 1535 although there are 17th century references to its continued dependence. Abolished civilly in 1933, part to Astley Ancient Parish & part to Stourport Rural District & Civil Parish 
O.S. Ref: SO802710
Areley Kings is a village in the Severn Valley, 1 mile S.W. of Stourport-on-Severn on the A451, the River Severn forming the boundary between Areley Kings and Stourport
Dunley and Oakhampton are 1 mile S.W. Coney Green is ½ mile N.W. 
Archdeaconry & Diocese of Worcester 
Parish Registers at Worcestershire Archives
International Genealogical Index (IGI)
|Parish Registers||Births / Christenings||1539-1835|
|Bishops' Transcripts||Births / Christenings||1608-1700 (54%)|
Monumental Inscriptions and Associated Documents
At BMSGH Reference Library 
At Society of Genealogists 
ARELEY KINGS : Monumental Inscriptions: in Bloom's Worcestershire Monumental Inscriptions, part 1 [Manuscript.] IN: Bloom's Worcestershire Monumental Inscriptions, part 1 Published , Nd. AuthorBloom, J Harvey (trans.)
ARELEY KINGS (St. Bartholomew) : Monumental Inscriptions Published 2009 Author Morris, Brian (comp.) Author Llewellyn, Francesca (comp.) Source D: F Llewellyn
For the names of those included on a war memorial at St. Bartholomew's Church see:
http://www.rememberthefallen.co.uk/Casualties/ListByMemorial/Areley Kings St Bartholomew's Church
For the names of those included on a war memorial at Areley Kings School see:
http://www.rememberthefallen.co.uk/Casualties/ListByMemorial/Areley Kings School
For the names of those included on Areley Kings war memorial see:
http://www.rememberthefallen.co.uk/Casualties/ListByMemorial/Areley Kings War Memorial
All the censuses between 1841 and 1901 are now available on a number of fee-paying (Subscription or PayAsYouGo) sites including Ancestry.co.uk, FindMyPast.co.uk, thegenealogist.co.uk andgenesreunited.co.uk. The 1911 census is available in full or in part on some of these sites. We are unable to advise on the choice of site since researchers' personal preferences will be influenced by the content and search facilities offered by each site. Some sites offer a free trial.
Access to the library edition of Ancestry.co.uk is widely available at most record offices, includingWorcestershire Archives, and some libraries. You are advised to book time on their computers before making a visit.
A free-to-view site is being developed at freecen.org.uk for the 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871 and 1891 censuses. Coverage of Worcestershire parishes is rather sparse at this time.
Census returns can usually be viewed at Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints' Family History Centres.
Search Services (Fee paying) - BMSGH and Independent
Parish Records on microform
The records of schools and other educational establishments in this parish are detailed in a handlist available at Worcestershire Archives. The list refers to original documents so you will need to note the reference number and contact staff.
An extract from the Topographical Dictionary of England 1831 by Samuel Lewis:
ARELY-KING'S, or LOWER ARELY, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of DODDINGTREE, county of WORCESTER, ¾ of a mile (S. W. by W.) from Stourport, containing 358 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester, rated in the king's books at £9, and in the patronage of the Rector of Hartley. The church, which is situated on an eminence, whence there is a remarkably fine and extensive prospect, is dedicated to St. Bartholomew. In the burial-ground is a rude sepulchral monument, composed of oblong square stones, piled on each other, and bearing a quaint rhyming distich, importing that a person named Sir Harry lies interred beneath it. Who Sir Harry was, has not been satisfactorily ascertained; but an affecting story is related of an individual who was driven into seclusion here, from the loss of an only female child, that was drowned by falling from his arms, as he held her at a window, into a moat beneath, and who is supposed to have been interred here. At Redstone Ferry, on the river Severn, which forms a boundary of this parish, is a very high rock, in the side of which was excavated a hermitage, consisting of a chapel with an altar and some apartments: over the altar was painted a figure of an arch-bishop saying mass; in 1736, several human bodies, supposed to have been those of the hermits, were discovered. Layamon, author of a poetical Chronicle of British History, from Brute to Cadwallader, who states himself to have been a priest residing at Erenlege on the Severn, and who lived in the latter part of the twelfth century, is said to have been born here.
Last Updated: 24/01/2016